Monday, November 19, 2007

We're Home!

Rachel graduated after only 4 weeks at the feeding program. I am shocked! I thought that surely we would be one of the families who had to stay for additional time. But Rachel progressed very well and met all of her feeding goals. While she is not eating table food on her own yet, like I had hoped, she is eating 3 meals a day of 1/2 pureed, 1/2 mashed foods. She also eats 5 bites of soft chewables before each meal.

I wasn't sure how we would do at home. I thought we might revert to our old ways of battling before each session. To my surprise, Rachel never fights the feedings. She may comment that she doesn't like what she is served, but she always eats all of it. It helps a lot that the protocol developed by the feeding team remains for every meal. She knows what to expect, what is expected of her, and when the meal will be finished. It takes the fear of the unknown out of the process. And once we overcome her fear of large pieces of food, we will be moving right along.

While we were at the program, a local news channel filmed us and our friends to spotlight the clinic. Using the link below, check out my little movie star. Just click on the video for Feeding Disorders.

http://njn.net/newspublicaffairs/healthreports/

No comments: